When it comes to health and wellness, there’s no substitute for the right amount of daily exercise. But we can all use a little encouragement from time to time to get us up and moving, especially during the hectic workday. Here are some tips you can share with your employees to remind them of the benefits of exercise.
It’s time to sweat to extend your life and prevent illness. The benefits of exercise are limitless.
In fact, working up a sweat can:
- Reduce the risk of obesity.
- Reduce the risk of chronic conditions, such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes and osteoporosis.
- Improve mental alertness.
- Strengthen bones, tone muscles and improve your mood.
- Boost your immune system.
- Reduce the effects of stress on your body.
- Help you sleep more soundly.
Even if you engage only in low-intensity physical activity (gardening, walking or dancing) on a regular basis, you will achieve long-term health benefits.
How Much Is Enough?
It is recommended that every adult exercises 30 to 60 minutes daily to maintain good health. If you do not have this much time to devote to exercise, consider engaging in three 10-minute sweat sessions each day.
What Can You Do?
- Ride an exercise bike while watching television.
- Walk around the block during your lunch hour with a colleague.
- Make a Saturday morning walk with your family a tradition.
- Take a dance, aerobics or spinning class.
- Purchase an exercise DVD and incorporate it into your fitness routine.