The flu is an infection of the respiratory tract caused by the influenza virus. It usually causes mild to severe illness, but sometimes it can cause fatal complications. Every flu season is different, and influenza can affect people differently. Even healthy people can get very sick from the flu and then spread it to others.
Want to know how you can beat the flu? Consider the following five flu prevention tips:
- Get the flu vaccine. Becoming vaccinated against the flu is the best chance of preventing the illness.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick and stay away from others when you feel under the weather.
- Wash your hands often using soap and warm water to protect against germs.
- Get plenty of sleep, stay physically active and drink plenty of water to keep your immune system strong.
- Manage your stress and eat a nutritious diet rich in healthy grains, fruits, vegetables and fiber.
Please speak with your doctor if you have questions about the seasonal flu or if there is anything else you can do to avoid falling ill.